Gå till innehåll

My restoration and conversion to overland camper

hoss

Rekommendera Poster

Im very impressed by your work, nice build! I would like an adventure camper myself and wish I had the workshop possibilities like yours.

Just get a bit worried when I see where you put the features between the frame beams, have you checked axle and propeller shaft travel? More than one has discovered too late that parts hits each other when driving on rough ground.

Keep posting, we wish to see your progress!

Länk till kommentar
Dela på andra webbplatser

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your compliments.

The battery box is not above the prophshaft so it should clear with any upward motion. The compressor box has a clearance greater that the distance to the bump stop, also it is not above the highest part of the diff. So it should be ok... If its not i will modify.

• Like 1
Länk till kommentar

What compressor is this? Looks like mine, but with double cylinder? Nice one... Once again someone making me think about tilting cabin, damn :) I think I will integrate tilting as an emergency option...

20151011_121845_zpskuvs1s4j.jpgI don't know where it comes from, or what it costs as i got it for free from a friend

Länk till kommentar

Very impressive work and I love that you're posting in English, this will make things a lot easier for myself when I start my build in a few weeks time...I've just bought an om606 and a 722.6 from UK and am waiting for it to be shipped to Australia. I've had my Volvo (6x6 amb) here for 18 months now and I can't wait to get into it. I've been following Frederick, Daniels and your threads for a few weeks now and I just wanted to introduce myself as I have a few questions for you (firstly about mating the transfer case) but I will hold off until I get into it.

I'm hoping you won't mind answering some of my questions.

Thanks for posting...keep them coming.

All the best Warren.

Länk till kommentar

I'm sure there a few of us very interested how you achieved to immobilize the om606 and run it on the original pump without using every part from the donor car...very clever.

Nothing set in stone for me yet but I am planning on going down the usual path of using the 603 mechanical pump from dieselmeken... Perhaps I should have shipped the ecu with my engine and trans because maybe I'll change my mind after reading about how you did it.

Any more progress on the sump/oil pump swap from om648/om647.. 6cyl/5cyl? It isn't easy gathering information on these motors from down under because very few if any came over. The way I understand it is the om605 will swap with the om647 with relatively little trouble but the 606 and 648 sumps would need to be cut and shut at the flywheel end to make work. Is this correct as far as you understand or is there a variant of the 648 that will fit?

Cheers Warren

Länk till kommentar

The standalone thing is relatively easy to do (once you have slogged through the loom and researched, which i have done for you).

I'm not an expert on the motors, but you can ask questions on superturbodiesel.com, very useful site.

The sump works fine, you have to change the oil pump to from a OM648, but it all drops on. The rear does not mate with the 722.6 as the holes dont line up, but i will adapt it.

Länk till kommentar

Gday hoss,

Can you please confirm something for me, is the central cross member/vac resovoir behind the Tcase on a 4x4 Volvo directly opposite the spring hanger? And does it also have 2 trailing arms for the rear axle mounted to it? I'm having trouble seeing this from looking at various photos.

On the 6x6 there is nothing mounted to it or on the opposite side of the chassis rail. This being the case my concern for moving it back a little would be greatly reduced... I had noticed that very late in Daniels build (page 9) he removed this cross member to make room for a Bendix air compressor and replaced it with small box section approximately 40mm.

My logic is that this cross member is of more structural importance in a 4x4 because it is taking the forces from the rear axle through the spring hanger directly opposed to it, that is if I am correct about the spring hanger mounting location.

I realise that chassis cross members control how much a chassis is allowed to twist and flex and that deleting one completely is not a good idea, but I do suspect that its location in a 6x6 maybe not so crucial. I would value the opinions of others about this.

Cheers Warren.

Länk till kommentar

Hello gripen, it is the photos on page 1 of your build I have been looking at but the above photo shows the trailing arm mount clearly, not sure how I missed that thank you.

I realise the springs don't hang from the cross member itself... on the outside of the frame, directly opposed to the centre crossmember there a small box like structure welded to each side, this is where I thought the spring hangers perhaps were. But if I understand you correctly they are actually on the bottom of the frame/chassis... Like the front springs, is that correct?

Great build gripen, I particularly like how you have positioned the 605 to sit just behind the front axle...this is why I'm thinking of moving my central cross member back a little, so that the 606 can sit in a similar position. Obviously I can't work all this out until my motor and trans arrive from UK. Actually I haven't ruled out using a 605 yet, it does seem like a neater fit.

Cheers Warren.

Länk till kommentar

Yes I think I'd better as this isn't my thread after all, my plan was to start the thread after I received the motor and trans from UK and when I had I bit more to show. But I think I'll get it underway now because I'm asking too many questions in a thread that's not my own... Sorry hoss.

I'll take some photos tomorrow and get the ball rolling tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers Warren

• Like 3
Länk till kommentar