Gå till innehåll

TGB1314 Diesel Conversion

tcfengineering

Rekommendera Poster

Hej, min Svenska ar mycket daligt. Jag maste skriva i Engleska !

I have my TGB home, and I am getting ready for the engine conversion. The plan is Mercedes OM606 engine with Mercedes Sprinter gearbox (711.620), then I will use a Landrover Discovery transfer box.

My new toy !

post-9505-0-13214100-1442600078_thumb.jpg

Here's the engine, gearbox and transfer box lined up, its 28cm longer than the original driveline in the volvo, I think that I will take 10cm out of the rear propshaft and alter the sump to accomodate the rest

post-9505-0-82104100-1442600119_thumb.jpg

Close up of the gearbox/transfer box

post-9505-0-76804700-1442600126_thumb.jpg

I have an input shaft for the transfer box so that I can remote mount it. I plan on making a cradle that the gearbox and transfer box sit in which keeps everything straight. Once I have it up and running and I have tested it, I will fit an overdrive to the transfer box. This is a simple bolt on fit, and it will give me the following engine rpm in 5th gear with the overdrive in and 35" tyres. I wont have to change the axle ratios to get this which is what I was after. 

60 KPH 1726
70 KPH 2013
80 KPH 2301
90 KPH 2588
100 KPH 2876

I am going to get started next week when the last few bits have arrived. The sprinter gearbox is cable operated which was one of the reasons I wanted it. I will have to get longer cables made for it, but it should make the gear lever easy to get in the right place.

I will update the thread as I go.

• Like 8
Länk till kommentar
Dela på andra webbplatser

Made a start today with the project. Started off making some parts to mount the transfer box to the cradle I am going to build. I am lucky that I have my own CNC plasma table at home which makes jobs like this much easier. 

Started off drawing it on the computer

post-9505-0-65944400-1443280734_thumb.jpg

Then cut it out on the plasma table

post-9505-0-87141100-1443280766_thumb.jpg

Parts ready to go

post-9505-0-02008100-1443280793_thumb.jpg

Here they are trial fitted to the transfer box. They are not perfect, but they are fine for what I want to do. 

post-9505-0-91564200-1443280848_thumb.jpg

post-9505-0-92210000-1443280852_thumb.jpg

Plan now is to get the engine and gearbox sat perfectly level in both directions, then make a frame which holds the transfer box perfectly level and the input shaft at the right height. I also have an input shaft for the LT230 transfer box and I cut out a piece of 20mm plate so that I can make an adaptor to solid mount this to the back of the mercedes gearbox. 

post-9505-0-96006400-1443281277_thumb.jpg

Things will go a bit slow whilst I get a lot of this setup work done, but I am a bit paranoid to get it perfect. Once it is all exactly right, then the cradle should be made quite quickly. 

Just need to find out the torque settings for the flywheel to crankshaft bolts on an OM606. If anyone knows, please let me know !

• Like 4
Länk till kommentar

Hi Tcf 

Looks good, i am very interested in this build. could i ask you to keep the drawings up to date so that you might be able to cut the basic parts for me as well.. ? will pay off course.. no rush at all.. maybe also for the milled parts..

good luck with your build

best regards Jesper 

• Like 1
Länk till kommentar

Got a bit more done today. Not very exciting, but the engine, gearbox and transfer box have to be setup perfectly level and at the right height. Started by getting the engine perfectly level in both directions

post-9505-0-66067000-1443379902_thumb.jpg

post-9505-0-79993600-1443379906_thumb.jpg

Then I installed the flywheel, clutch and gearbox on the back of the engine

post-9505-0-55660200-1443379956_thumb.jpg

Next I built a simple little jig out of some scrap metal. This holds the output shafts of the transfer box so that they are perfectly level. The whole box pivots on these flanges and I have used a little bottle jack so that I can adjust the height of the input shaft to suit the mercedes gearbox output. 

post-9505-0-89018900-1443380064_thumb.jpg

post-9505-0-14067800-1443380070_thumb.jpg

Now I have everything in line and level. I have made a start machining the adaptor to connect the gearbox and the transfer box. Should get this made tomorrow and then I can start work on the cradle to hold it all together. 

post-9505-0-76630800-1443380268_thumb.jpg

• Like 6
Länk till kommentar

I have been talking to a couple of friends in England who are really good engineers, and they both said that I should have a flexible coupling in between the gearbox and the transfer box. Having looked around, I found this coupling which is designed for boats. It is rated to double the torque output of my motor, and fits the output flange of the mercedes gearbox. Just means I have to make a flange for the input shaft for the transfer box and it should be good to go. 

post-9505-0-72885500-1443976339.jpg

I have ordered the coupling and it should come in about 1 week. So now I have decided this, today I thought that I should start to build the cradle which joins the gearbox and transfer case. First I took some measurements and than drew the parts on the CAD system. Then cut them out and cleaned them up. I have to be honest, I am not that great at some of this measuring work, so I cut them in 2mm plate first, and then offer them up, so I can measure how far out I am ! Then I can redraw them and cut them in the 6mm material. This time, 2 out of 4 were right first time, and the other 2 needed some small changes. I would rather waste a bit of 2mm plate than a bit of 6mm plate !

post-9505-0-80237900-1443976506_thumb.jpg

I also took more measurements and made a new mounting plate for the transfer box. This is larger so that it will link up better with the plates which are mounted to the gearbox

post-9505-0-33815400-1443976517_thumb.jpg

Next, the plates which I cut earlier were fitted to the gearbox. There are two on the top and two on the bottom. 

post-9505-0-06114800-1443976523_thumb.jpg

post-9505-0-32205100-1443976529_thumb.jpg

The plan now is to link the plates together with tubes. I am using 34mm outside diameter with 3mm wall thickness. There will be a lot of gussets and strengthening plates and I think that when it is finished it will be very strong. I will use the transfer box mounts from the original TGB gearbox and attach them to this frame. 

post-9505-0-21689500-1443976533_thumb.jpg

post-9505-0-02781200-1443976537_thumb.jpg

At the moment the gap between the gearbox and transfer box is quite large because I dont know how big the flexible coupler is yet. Once I have fitted this, I will be able to trim these tubes and weld it together. I also have 1 more tube to bend. I cant do much more on this until the coupling comes, so I might make a new intake manifold next. This one is too wide to fit, so I need to make a new one. I dont have the equipment to weld aluminium anymore, so I need to find someone who will weld it for me. Any offers ?

My friend is coming with the crane this week, so we will take off the cab and back body and maybe pull out the old engine. 

• Like 10
Länk till kommentar

why do you not just use the flex disc that came from the mercedes? It already fits the gearbox output shaft.

Look at my thread here http://www.terrangbil.net/forum/index.php?/topic/11062-my-restoration-and-conversion-to-overland-camper/

IMG_0174%20Medium_zpsmfnzmfed.jpg

This is just a mock-up to measure the distance.

You can see that my transfer box moves back by about 60mm. I will have to get the prop shafts lengthened and shortened respectively.

I will also have a support member which runs side to side under the coupling and supports the rear of the gearbox and the front of the transfer box.

p.s do you have an email address for Kurt, the last i sent bounced.

• Like 1
Länk till kommentar

The email address I used was kurt.bjorck@volvo.com 

I dont think that the sprinter gearbox came with a flex disc. It certainly has a different PCD to any of the mercedes ones I can find. This coupling I have bought will work great I think. I will also have to shorten prop shafts a little also.

I wanted the discovery transfer box because it has the correct propshaft offset, it has a transmission handbrake, it is pretty robust and reliable and parts are super cheap. Mainly though, you can get an overdrive which fits straight in. If I keep the existing ratio (1.2:1) then with the overdrive I will have a transfer box ratio of 0.845:1. Coupled with the 0.79:1 in the sprinter gearbox, this means that I can cruise at very low RPMs giving me a quieter and more economical driving experience. 

Time will tell if I am right !

Länk till kommentar

Nice work but i have some thinking about your planing for a lot od.  0.845:1 X  0.79:1  on two places (gearcases) that a lot and and every time you od you have extra heat and alot of extra force on the first place you od,  also that mins that engine has to move a lot extra force   for every % od you will lose power both in force and in transmission lost.

Od on two places and you mostly will have at least one in od, I can see a problem here. Gearcases are stronger with strait axel not in od .  ex: To drive on road and have to gear down before a hill on one gearcase and still have the other in od . Or to gear down on both places and get a to big step and rush upp engine.

Is not  21% od   or 0.79o x 1:1  fd 51 enought? 

Länk till kommentar

With the overdrive, I hear what you are saying, but I also think it will be OK. I will use the overdrive like 6th gear ie. when I am cruising along steadily to keep the RPM's down. I think that the OM606 will have plenty of power to pull the higher gear, and I have plenty of gears to change down to as soon as the road gets steeper. I envisage that when this happens, I will change down in the overdrive first, and then go down the mercedes gearbox like normal. I want to use 315/75 16 tyres as they are priced reasonably and you can get a tyre which will be pretty nice for longer distance driving. With this tyre, you need more than 0.79 fifth gear and 1:1 in the transfer box - You would be revving at 3350rpm at 100 kmh. With the overdrive on the landrover transfer case, you will be revving at 2800rpm at 100kmh, but more importantly 2540 at 90kmh which is the cruising speed I am aiming for. I think that the engine will pull nicely in this rev range and should have plenty in reserve. 

The other option is to change out the ring and pinons in the axle for 5.99 ratio and then just have the 0.79 fifth gear. I was originally going to do this, but if one were to break down the line, who knows if I can get spares. Ultimately I can still do this down the line. I can get a 1:1 gearset for the landrover transfer box and sell the overdrive. One thing is for sure, we are going to find out !

I think I am going to take out the crossmember altogether and replace it with a bolt in crossmember which also supports the transfer box like on a landrover. Then there should be room for everything. This will get decided in the next week or so when I take the cab off

The pipe was bent by hand in a simple old fashioned push type pipe bender. It took a few adjustments until they were right !

• Like 2
Länk till kommentar

Hi,

Very nice build you are doing!

Why aren't you going to get a high ratio (1.003) LT230 transfer case instead of the overdrive? It would be a cheaper solution, it would be a less complicated transmission and it would not affect the size of your engine/transmission conversion. A high ratio LT230 will have the same ratio in the low gear, only high gear will be a higher ratio.

I am looking forward to see your progress  :)

Regards

Anders

Länk till kommentar

It is a cheap solution to put the 1.003 gears in the transfer box (In fact its free as I already have a set). I will finish the engine cradle, fit the engine, new tyres, cooling, exhaust, etc... Then I will take the vehicle to Bilprovning and get it passed with the existing gears. Once I have done this I can drive it round a bit and then make the final decision which way to go. I wont order anything until I have done this. I want to leave as many options on the table as possible, so there will be room to fit the overdrive without any modifications. 

I was just measuring up for various things tonight, and I think that I will move the existing cross member back about 300mm which will also take it upwards also. This will be permanently welded in. Then I will have a removable crossmember to support the gearbox. I think that this will work well

• Like 1
Länk till kommentar

I will modify my tube crossmember with a half cut out, to allow the transmission brake to fit. I will also make a bolted crossmember which will hang from the original gearbox mounts and run under the rear mount of the merc box, supporting it. I will also make a link bracket from here that supports the front of the transfer box.

Länk till kommentar