Gå till innehåll

Down Under Diesel

one2many

Rekommendera Poster

Gday from Australia,

I'm starting my build thread a little prematurely because I've been asking a lot of questions in someone else's thread and I didn't think it was "good etiquette". So I'll start off with introducing myself and a brief outlay of what I'm planning, I will follow with some pics tomorrow...it's 11:00pm and dark ATM.

My name is Warren and I imported two Volvo's about 18 months ago with the help of Joacim from Coatex AB, they are both 1314's (ambulance) with about 10,000km showing and no rust...I couldn't be more pleased with their condition as everything on them works as it should. So far all I've done to them is a full service of the engines and changed all the oils in both drive lines and portals as well as exhaust/inlet manifold gaskets...they both started leaking from the rearmost cylinders soon after they arrived, oh and one manifold had a small crack around the exit flange which I welded with some cast iron rod. All in all nothing too unexpected for their age. The only thing about them that's a bit crappy was the tyres (suregrips), I reckon they must be at least 30 years old because they are hard as rocks and a rough ride but I was expecting that anyway.

My plan even before I imported them is to convert one to diesel and sell the other but all good things take time. Earlier this year I purchased 3 crown wheel and pinion pairs with the higher 5.99:1 gear ratio from Jez @flyingspanners and about 10 days ago I bought (on ebay) an om606.962TD (complete) and a 722.608 auto trans as well as a few bits and pieces like gear selector etc, these are coming from uk and will be a little while before it arrives. I'm going to use a mech om603 pump which I'll get from dieselmeken because there really aren't any good IP Pump builders over here, if I end up running the auto I will use the standalone controller sold from ofgear.dk which is the one olefejer makes...the relatively small Gwagen crowd over here do this diesel conversion (om606/722.6) and use this controller and those who have are really happy with it. I'll also definitely be doing the Gwagen PS box conversion, power steering IMO transforms the feel of these older vehicles and I really like the G's steering box feel.

Other than that my plans are to get rid of the box/shelter (for now anyway) and make it a dual cab ute/tray, I would have liked a long body/command cab but I couldn't find one in good enough condition and I like the idea of having a tray for work purposes.

That's enough for now...a bit long winded but gripen asked me to start my own thread so here ya go, some pics to follow tomorrow.

Great forum guys I only wish I knew Swedish.

Cheers Warren.

• Like 13
Länk till kommentar
Dela på andra webbplatser

Welcome here! Nice to get to know more guys who thinks a littlebit like oneself, its easy to get to think one is oneofakind when you listen to the wife... :lol:

Will be nice to follow your project, I like these serious rebuilds and modernizations!

Continue your good startup and even though its mostly spoken swedish here, we are very happy to get international members as well. There is always Google Translate if needed :) and no question is too simple.

• Like 1
Länk till kommentar

Welcome to Terrängbil.net Warren!

Very impressive project plan, not least the logistics, having everything shipped from Europe!

Glad to hear you are happy with Joachim’s services. Joachim is a good friend, stopped by my shop today to pick up a couple of overhauled alternators. Will tell him you started a thread here.

Really looking forward to follow your build!

Cheers Sten /Admin

Länk till kommentar

I don't really have any photos of real interest ATM, the green aluzinc is the one I'm keeping and I'm about to abvertise the camo one for sale on some local 4wd club sites. I need to make some room in the workshop and over the next few weeks start stripping the cab and shelter off in preparation of the arrival of the engine and trans that's coming.post-9589-0-84344500-1445329088_thumb.jpgpost-9589-0-07187200-1445329142_thumb.jpgpost-9589-0-66815300-1445329383_thumb.jpg

• Like 7
Länk till kommentar

Thanks for the welcome everyone its good to know your interested and to get the opinions of others.

Wingflyer,

All the good stuff is in Europe, I cut my teeth working on the older Mercedes V series and Volvo FL series trucks and its stuck with me. And yes I was very happy with Joachim's services, say gday for me.

Eile,

Yes It will be a build suited for longer distances over extended periods. Importing vehicles to Australia over 25 years is generally pretty easy but if they have been modified then it gets tricky...engineering reports/certificate would be required and if the engine is less than 25 years old it might come under a different category for import more similar to importing a new vehicle, then they have a lot more rules and red tape to comply with.

Hedersmedlem,

I love the dual cab ute its the only one I've seen!! Its very similar to the body configuration I have in mind. I'd like to have a tray for work purposes as well as a small removable box set up for camping and getting away, I haven't given the design a lot of thought yet except that I don't want it high or wide but in the same profile as the front cabin. Not so much a box to live in but live from it.

I tried once to translate Swedish to English and it didn't really work very well, I can't remember which translator I used but I tried to do the whole page at once. I might try it again with smaller blocks of text.

Gripen,

I've been looking at the photos in your thread and I really like what your doing, its all going together very neatly. This is one of the threads I really need to translate. I'm glad your here for me ask some questions but that goes for the wider terrangbil community as well.

Thank you all for following and for the warm welcome.

More to come soon.

• Like 3
Länk till kommentar

• 2 months later...

Gday everyone, Happy New Year!

Not really much to add yet but yesterday customs cleared my motor and transmission so I was finally able to collect it, only after it failed two quarantine inspections each time costing more money...😵😣post-9589-0-17102600-1453269537_thumb.jpg

Oh and I have sold the camo 1314 to a like minded individual who will be doing a similiar conversion, he already has bought a set of Jez's ring and pinions in 5.99:1 and has bought an om606 TD and 722.6 automatic from eBay UK and is just waiting for its arrival.

When I reached out to Jez I learned that he is now also producing 5.1:1 crown wheel and pinion sets, so for those interested we now have more options available in regards to final drive ratios.

Best wishes for 2016 to everyone!

• Like 3
Länk till kommentar

• 1 month later...