Gå till innehåll

B30 or b36 into Sugga

Rekommendera Poster

I've seen a couple of suggas with a b36 fitted.

https://www.maskinisten.net/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=30894&lv=1

I have no bearing on the b30, I think people usually mount a cheva 350 or some diesel motor in them. 

Perhaps the more interesting question is if you have a b36 in good condition and some spare parts?

• Like 1
Länk till kommentar
Dela på andra webbplatser

The B36 is supposedly possible to fit into the Sugga, but AFAIK there is some work involved with the gearbox, that is, it is not a clean fit at all. Adapters are needed. Taking that into account, I'd go for a B30 instead. That is an engine that is much easier to get hold of, spare parts are obtainable and the power/torque is probably better than for the B36. I am not sure about the length of the B30, but the ED is no shorty either. Some buffer room might be found in the radiator end. The waterpump-mounted fan may be exchanged for an outside electric fan to give some extra cm.

• Like 2
Länk till kommentar

Volvo b36 is an easy swap into sugga. they use same boltpattern on the gearbox. You need to make some new motormounts. But it is hard too find a b36 in working order for a good price. And hard too find part for it.  A b30 is mutch more easy to find. But it will not fit on the original gearbox. A lot of machine work needed to make it fit.  Many people mount volvo td40 dieselengine and gearbox into sugga. A good alternative is also a chevy smallblock and auto transmission. You make new motormounts and a short axle for make it fit on the original transfercase. Some people has also used rover 3,5 liter v8 and gearbox in them.

• Like 1
Länk till kommentar

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If the engine is in good health, I suppose an LPG induction system might work quite OK. I think that these engines were supposed to be able to run on wood gas, so they should be able to handle a variety of gaseous fuels (including low-octane petrol). However, the B36 is probably not going to make maintenance etc. easier than the original ED engine. If you actually want to do a swap, I think that a more modern engine should be considered, like the B30 or an AMC straight-six 4L engine or similar.

Länk till kommentar

• 1 year later...

Hi Glynn, I know this topic is a year old now but did you ever fit the B30 into the Sugga ? Considering one as an option for mine but don't know how well it will go.

I read that the later Trygge had a 3.6 diesel (D36) and when the name changed to F83 they used the D39 (perkins 4236 engine).

Got the perkins 4236 in my Sugga but want to change it.

Cheers

• Like 2
Länk till kommentar

• 1 month later...

Hi T101 no I didn’t I am still trying to get my ed engine fixed.

Did you buy yours from Adam near Middlesbrough? As far as I can tell 6 cylinder engines are too long the ED is a short engine.

And I would prefer original but that is looking less likely by the day.

Länk till kommentar

I bought it from a guy called Per in Sweden early last year and got it over here in April. It had been turned into a truck and the ED replaced with a Perkins diesel. They put the ED into one of the original taxis, Per sent me a picture of it............would have preferred he sent me the engine.

It is slow and gutless on the road, and noisy. So I want to change it back to a straight six petrol engine.

I was looking at the B30 but don't really want to go to all the expenses and hassle to find that it is no better than what I already have.  Did you get one, or do you have any dimensions for them?

What do you need to finish your ED?

What are you going to do if you can't fix it?

I am in West Sussex, what part of the UK are you in?

Cheers

Länk till kommentar

Assuming some sort of modification of the bellhousing -to match a new engine to the gearbox- will have to be done even with a B36, it might be just as interesting to look at american sixes... the AMC straight-six 4.2 litre engine is powerful, simple, and shouldn't be hard to find. Might be a bit long for the sugga engine bay, perhaps.

Länk till kommentar