Gå till innehåll

Maybe Buying Bv202

Duane

Rekommendera Poster

Hello,

My name is Duane Leiker. I am 60 years old and live in Culpeper, Virginia USA. I have been looking at the Bv202 for almost 30 years now. My choice in between the Military Humvee and the Bv202. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Well, I just wanted to introduce myself and hope I can contribute sometime on this forum.

Bv202 will be used for Search and Rescue here in my County/Town, Military Vehicle Shows, Parades and Winter Camping. It is not street legal here and must be taken on trailer wherever needed. Also, I am 6'2" tall and don't know if I would fit inside the cab.

Thank you.

• Like 6
Länk till kommentar
Dela på andra webbplatser

Ditto, welcome to our community Duane! You will find a vast amount of knowledge here and English is widely understood. Also lots of information in the Document library.

Incidentally I have a Bv202 myself. It’s been through the Army modification program with Weber carb, etc, and is in pretty good shape.

As Vinkon indicates, it may be a challenge to operate a Bv202 overseas. There are a number of type specific parts, especially in the drive train and track system, that could be hard to obtain in the US. But plenty over here so all you need is to establish appropriate channels…

Sten /Admin

• Like 1
Länk till kommentar

Thank you for the welcome. I prefer the Bv202 over the weasel (owned one), M116, Bv206 mainly due to size and weight. The only disadvantage is speed. I know it can barely outrun a snail but, I can get the B20 motor rebuilt up to 175hp with side draft webers and B20E large valve heads. I've been researching a transmission swap or possibly both differentials ring and pinion upgrade. If possible, I'd like to get the speed up to 35+-. I don't know if the track bearings could handle that speed. When I'm ready I'm going to get one from Olav Teigen. Might be a couple thousand more but I need one that is in excellent condition. You know, no rust, good motor, electrical, etc...Also, I plan on getting 4 new track, All new bearings, extra rear wagon, hydraulic hose set, Universal joint set, 2 extra wiper motors, brake master cylinder and a bit more as spares. What are the most difficult parts to find?

There are a few out here. During our weaselfest years ago, a friend brought his. I should have sat in it but I had my weasel and didn't occur to me at that time.

Thank again for the welcome.

Länk till kommentar

Hello Johan,

I do like the Bv206 but the height and length will not fit into my garage. Just looking at the breakdown of parts in the books between the BV202 vs. Bv206, the Bv202 is easier to work on. Also the cost of parts is much more for the newer Bv206 model. I broke down the cost this way, Bv202 in excellent condition about $12K USD. A Bv206 (cheapest as is) soft top with ammo carrier is $44K USD from L. Jackson and Co. I can get enough spares so a Bv202 can be running for generations for less than half what a Bv206 costs.

Motor upgrade is swap head and add big side draft webers (easy and cheap to get here). Changing Ring and Pinion if different size available would be easy. I'm retired so labor is not a problem.

Thank you

• Like 1
Länk till kommentar

At 175 hp you will more than double the power of a BV202 mark 1 and almost double the 97 hp output of the BV202 mark 2.

This will then make problems on all levels of the transmission system: The clutch will be to weak (and it is already the stronger version), the gear box might have problems handling the additional power, the transfer case, the axles etc. Running it at a higher speed than designed will make all bearing wear quickly. Of course, it is possible to build solutions on all points, but then I think the price will exceed a BV206 by far.

A BV206 with petrol engine has a max speed of 55 km/h (34 mph), so it is ready for you out of the box. Use the rest of the money you save to expand your garage...

If you are sure that you still want to go the long way with the BV202, I can inform you that a couple of Norwegian companies bought all the spare parts from the Norwegian army. The will send parts around the globe, the only problem is the time in transit (and the price).

I am 6'2" tall and don't know if I would fit inside the cab.

No problem. I am 6'4" and fit exactly. But to make it more comfortable I have removed the back rest. Now I have plenty of space. My father also fits well now, and he is 6'7½".

• Like 1
Länk till kommentar