Gå till innehåll

Felt finally in Svalbard - now the problems begin :)

Rekommendera Poster

So, my 1969 L3314N has finally arrived in Longyearbyen. 

And already the fun has started!  I have some issues that I need your advice on.

Firstly, I may have problems with the fuel pump.

How much fuel should go through the fuel filter when the engine is trying to start? I have a clear fuel filter so I can see. When I try and start the engine, very little fuel enters the filter and the filter is mostly filled with air. Is this normal or do I have a fuel pump problem? May be it is blocked? There does appear to be some sediment in the fuel filter. At the moment the engine isn't even firing, just teh starter motor trying hard.

Also, the clutch has died on me. I can physically get the gear stick into all gears, but there is no movement and the engine screams (if it starts!) like it is in neutral when I press the gas peddle. Only in 2nd gear does it creep forward very very slowly when I press the accelerator down fully.

Lastly, any advice on how to remove stuck spark plugs!? All four are well and truly seized. Soak with WD40 and leave overnight? 

Thanks guys. I will post some pictures soon.

• Like 2
Länk till kommentar
Dela på andra webbplatser

• 7 months later...

Hi, I have just bought an L3314N which seems to have similar problems to you! The clutch pedal has gone but replacing the master cylinder repaired that.
My problem is the fuel pump which works I think only when it is cold. 
Did you find a solution for your car? 
also is there a fuel pump in the tank or just the mechanical one on the engine?

Länk till kommentar

There is only the mechanical one on the engine. 

But the filter in the tank can be reinserted, try blowing air back, and see if it releases. Dose it help. Perhaps a cleaning of the tank may be the time to be done

• Like 1
Länk till kommentar

So, I discovered that after goodness-knows how many years, the fuel tank was severely full of sludge and water. It was that that was blocking repeated new fuel filters and giving the fuel pump a hard time. Right now I have removed and cleaned and sealed the fuel tank, installed a new copper fuel line, and obviously a new filter. Just waiting for a nice day (not that many up here in the Arctic!) to paint the outside of the fuel tank and reinstall it with a new fuel gauge sender. Hopefully that should sort it. 

I did try pouring the old fuel through a coffee filter (delicious!) but half a litre of the old gasoline was enough to block a filter. Nasty stuff.

As for the clutch issue, I readjusted the clutch fork release nuts on the slave cylinder to within specifications. But as it hasn't run since I removed the fuel tank I don't know if that has fixed the issue. We'll see. I'll keep posted when the tank is back in and if/when it starts!

• Like 6
Länk till kommentar