Gå till innehåll

L3314N axle and differential questions?

Rekommendera Poster

Its been a while since I've been on the forum, but my Feltvogn up here in Svalbard is still not running yet.

I'm still repairing the fuel tank. And working under the vehicle in -20°C is no fun! But we are getting there. On the road soon once I've finished refurbishing the tank, new fuel line etc.

As a new Felt owner, I have some questions about the Salisbury 4HA axles that I hope you guys can help with.

Firstly, what is the axle shaft diameter and shaft spline count on the 4HA?

Secondly, I have read on other forums that the Salisbury axles are very similar to Dana 44 or Dana 60 axles. Do you know which one the Feltvogn 4HA is similar to? I know that the Salisbury axle used on Land Rovers was basically a licensed version of the Dana 60 but with a few differences.

Lastly (this is the main question), what are the options for front and back locking differentials? Is there an ARB Airlocker that fits, or a Powertrax Lock-Right or Grip, or a Detroit or Eaton ELocker? Any other options? I really don't want to weld my rear differential and would ideally like something on the front too.

Hope you guys can help!

Also, here's a picture of what happens in a blizzard with 100 km per hour (20 m per second) wind, blowing snow, and no door seals!

Snow3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
Länk till kommentar
Dela på andra webbplatser

Answer to the last question about locking differentials. Keep the original, it is made to be the way they are. A couple of years ago, a member on this forum called Teddan tried to put locking differentials in the front axle. It did not work, the differentials broke. If you are unlucky, the axles may break down and they are not easy to find or cheap. So my advice, take  it or leave it, stick to the original. Maybe some other members have other experience.

• Like 1
Länk till kommentar

Thanks Puppe. May be a good call not to go for locking differentials, but I'd still be interested to know what may be available for the 4HA Salisbury axle, just out of curiosity really.

I had ARB Air Lockers on my old Nissan Terrano back when I lived in Canada with great success and even though I did some pretty aggressive rock crawling I never managed to destroy any axle shafts or to explode differentials. I broke many other things though ;) .

I'm also wondering how you guys have hooked up reverse lights on the L3314. Is there an unused port for a reverse light switch in the M42 transmission that could take a switch from an M40 or M41 transmission as used on Volvo 544s, Amazons, and P1800s? Or do you just wire up a simple on-off switch? I guess I could go and look underneath my Felt now, but it is snowing hard, -16°C, and very windy!

Länk till kommentar

På 2020-04-13 på 18:53, Geologica säger:

Its been a while since I've been on the forum, but my Feltvogn up here in Svalbard is still not running yet.

I'm still repairing the fuel tank. And working under the vehicle in -20°C is no fun! But we are getting there. On the road soon once I've finished refurbishing the tank, new fuel line etc.

As a new Felt owner, I have some questions about the Salisbury 4HA axles that I hope you guys can help with.

Firstly, what is the axle shaft diameter and shaft spline count on the 4HA?

Secondly, I have read on other forums that the Salisbury axles are very similar to Dana 44 or Dana 60 axles. Do you know which one the Feltvogn 4HA is similar to? I know that the Salisbury axle used on Land Rovers was basically a licensed version of the Dana 60 but with a few differences.

Lastly (this is the main question), what are the options for front and back locking differentials? Is there an ARB Airlocker that fits, or a Powertrax Lock-Right or Grip, or a Detroit or Eaton ELocker? Any other options? I really don't want to weld my rear differential and would ideally like something on the front too.

Hope you guys can help!

Also, here's a picture of what happens in a blizzard with 100 km per hour (20 m per second) wind, blowing snow, and no door seals!

https://theinstaprofile.com/share/B9riLU1pb53

• Like 2
Länk till kommentar