Gå till innehåll

TGB in the Uk

Gäst Poptopshed

Rekommendera Poster

Gäst Poptopshed

Hi, I have just got a TGB 40 here in the Uk.

It is a very rare lorry in this country and have been reading here after searching on the internet for information on these great lorrys. I hope my English is ok.

This my new project!!

6180172633_596cd7fce9_z.jpg

It had been left in a scrap yard for two years with one more TGB40. I did a deal for this one with parts from the other lorry.

6180042257_a483627f2e_z.jpg

We put good batteries on and bypassed the power switch (no keys) and it started on first press of the start button!PDT_Armataz_02_11.gif

I then drove it home. Brilliant.PDT_Armataz_02_02.gif

I will have lots of questions in working on my TGB40, Hope you can help.

I will post more pictures. Thank You.

Jon.

Länk till kommentar
Dela på andra webbplatser

Gäst Pvpjtgb1111

Hello and Welcome!

English is fine!

Looks like it is in a good shape, though it might need a wash PDT_Armataz_02_32.gif

Looking forward too see what you are going to do with it!

Länk till kommentar

Gäst Poptopshed

It seems in great running condition but the cab will need welding under the seats its very rotten. Lots of sanding to clean up the paint and then respray the whole truck. We go to the War and Peace show every year and other shows in the Uk and have been taking my  Landrover Carawagon and 101FC for a few years and wanted something bigger.

Are the keys for the dash power switch the same for all TGB's? Could some one post a picture of the key so i can make one.

I am using a red wire to make the push contact for now and a screw driver to turn the switch.

6180697508_e6a1e1585b.jpg

Thanks

Jon.

Länk till kommentar

Gäst Poptopshed

Great news that its a standard switch. Thanks.PDT_Armataz_02_02.gif

I have a found a supplier in Germany just seeing if i can source one over here first.

Does any one use Bio-diesel or know if it can be used in the TGB engine without causing problems with the injection pump? I use it 100% in my tdi landrovers and mix it 50% with normal diesel for another car as i can buy it at half the the price of normal fuel. Be good if i can fill the big tank at half price once it is ready for the road.

Länk till kommentar

Gäst rocknroll

Don't use Biodisel, al rubbers gone be broken.

But i have drive with oil form sonnflowers. In mix 50/50 with diesel. In sommer it works great.

I used it only by more degrece over 21.

Länk till kommentar

Gäst Poptopshed

Thankyou Rock, i didnt want the bio fuel breaking seals. Good that it runs ok with Sunflower oil mix, that is still better to buy than normal fuel.

Today i looked at crane power pack. I had filled it with oil and it had leaked alot. I hoped it was a split hose but not my luck.

6238451478_814edb21d9.jpg

I took the pack apart and filled the pump with oil, started leaking out of the bottom of the motor. PDT_Armataz_02_06.gif The seal between the pump and motor is split.

6238457428_206987abb5.jpg

6238455608_4e3cbd6a6c_z.jpg

I hope to find a spare part from Hiab in the Uk. I guess the pump has to come apart to change the seal? The screws holding the pump together look bad, steel screws in alu case, well stuck!

Länk till kommentar

Gäst rocknroll

My Tip: the TGB 30 Engine have a diesel tube heater. so you can heat the Oil from sunflower(SFO), before it come into the Diesel-pump.

The best temperatur for SFO is over 74 degree, not more tahn 86degree.

Better for the Pump is to start with Diesel, not wit SFO. The SFO is to mutch like jam, and by the start it can destroy the pump. (to mutch pressure)

Take 2 tanks, with change system.

Look here:

http://www.diesel-therm.de/pflanzenoel-umruestsatz.htm

Länk till kommentar

• 3 weeks later...
Gäst Poptopshed

This weekend i have rebuilt the pump with new seals and filter. Tried to use the crane for the first time and i have two problems, Crane arm goes up very quick but hard to come down. It comes down a small amount then stops, If i leave it a short amount of time it will come a little more and stop again. I think i have a blockage in a pipe?

It will not rotate at all, Pushing the switch the pump motor runs but nothing happens at the screw motor end. Is there something normal that can cause this problem? Screw on pump stuck from standing so long or stuck valve?

Thank you.

Länk till kommentar

• 6 months later...

Time for a update....

The weather is finally getting better over here so i have started work on the Truck again.

First the problem with hiab was that air had into the valve block, we worked out how to bleed the air and the crane is fully working now but i have a leak on one of the pipes under the crane now.

This week i have started removing all the cab trim so i can fix all the rotten metal in the cab...and i have a lot of rotten metal. :(

2012-05-02191212.jpg

The floor has many holes and the under floor and sills are rotten, the insulation in the cab wall was full of water.

2012-05-05163508.jpg

I have started work on the roof today and will work my way down, i think i found where all the water got inside! :unsure:

2012-05-06122805.jpg

Lots of cutting and welding now!!

Could some one take a picture of the seal used on the roof to seal the hatch? I have no seal at all.

Länk till kommentar

Just over a 1000 miles to ALE to pick up a new cab, ^_^ tempting but it will not take too long to repair this one. We have repaired worse on british trucks of similar ages and the Scania cab is mostly flat which is nice after the curved cabs we normally have to repair. Maybe one day when it is fixed we will drive it back for a holiday.

Länk till kommentar

• 3 months later...

Update.

Cab repairs are going slowly. Lots of rain so it has delayed work. The back of the cab is now nearly complete so it is dry inside at last.

Alot of repairs under the gutter, and removing the engine cover.

20120729_114024.jpg

Cover off..more holes!!

20120729_120028.jpg

Yesterday i removed the drivers seat and found this magnetic sign..

Untitled.jpg

Many people have driven my truck in school! :)

More soon.

• Like 1
Länk till kommentar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

Been busy since the last update, lots more cutting, fabricating and welding...

20120916_155910.jpg

20121006_164228.jpg

Good to paint all the new metal...

20121110_141101-1.jpg

and all the under cab is now stone chip protected..

20121110_145421.jpg

The best news is yesterday i recived the registration paperwork and tax disk so its now fully legal in the Uk!!!

• Like 4
Länk till kommentar

• 4 months later...

Sorry been a long time since the last update...

Good weather is here so have been busy, getting fresh paint on the truck..

20130525_155521_zps796f8329.jpg

IMG_20130527_205450_zpsfe511c3a.jpg

Been covered in green dust for days  ^_^

Feels good to fit my registration plates..I just need to swap over the troop cabin for my good one and paint that now..

20130602_182615_zpsb94b3c6c.jpg

20130602_182536_zps932b6b26.jpg

more soon...

• Like 4
Länk till kommentar

Great work done there! And it seems like plenty of it was needed...

Excuse my ignorance but what do those black license plates represent?

Did you have to make any changes to the head lights for the UK?

What about "drive under bars" (or whatever they are called), speedometers and such?

Länk till kommentar