Gå till innehåll

Volvo Sugga carburetor

Rekommendera Poster

Sorry if I ask a dumb question, but have you checked the carb? If I remember it is a fairly straightforward downdraught thing, Rochester or similar. The symptoms suggest a fuel delivery problem, which could be a clogged fuel filter, a troublesome fuel pump or silt/particles inside the carburettor float bowl that clogs the jet(s). All things that could be fairly easily corrected without the need to get a new carb.

Länk till kommentar
Dela på andra webbplatser

I have an electric pump fitted and have cleaned the carb several times, it will drive for several miles then starts to slow down and then it will idle but when you try to pull away it lacks any power . I have washed the fuel tank out and fitted a filter after the pump it would be nice to keep the original Rochester carb

Länk till kommentar

Odd... When the car loses power, what do you need to do to "restore" normal operation? Is it enough to restart, or does it have to sit for a while? What happens when you press the accelerator, does it just not respond or does it die? Any difference if you pump the pedal?

The A6 engine (in 912 etc) has a similar carb, but it has a rev limiter fitted between carb and intake manifold; does the Sugga (ED engine) have that thingy too? Is it OK?

You could disconnect the fuel line from the carb,  run the electric pump for some time and let the fuel run into a container and verify that the pump can uphold a decent flow. If there is any problem with the flow, two things might need checking:

1. A6 engines also have a pre-pump filter, if the Sugga has such a filter it may want cleaning.

2. There is usually a main/reserve tank switching valve in the line from the tank. If the valve or its gasket is damaged, flow may be affected.

Länk till kommentar

Rebuild carbs (Rochester) can be found on ebay.com (US). Not cheap, though.  Put the carb code and Rochester in the search line. Be aware there are different models, but the exact part can be found.

On the other hand, I think the problem on yours can be the floater rubbing on the carb walls. Open it and check for marks, then adjust the floater (by gentle bend of the arms) to work properly.

Länk till kommentar

• 2 months later...