Gå till innehåll

Steering-wheel knob: legal in Sweden or not?

Gäst W-J-M

Rekommendera Poster

Dear group,

Does anyone here have detailed knowledge of Swedish vehicle/traffic law in the context of steering-wheel knobs?

(a knob on the outside of the steering wheel, to make single-hand steering possible)

(in case of Volvo C3-series, this is only safe when having power steering of course)

What I have learned in the past is that such a knob is illegal in Germany; in Holland nobody really knows, other than pointing to the general rule, that says that 'modifications of the steering system' are not allowed.

(which would theoretically even include power-steering....however, *their* problem is then that they have no way of telling what is original versus later/aftermarket)

And the powersteering system that was mounted in my C306 came with just such a knob, from a civil/municipality C303....so either this knob is 100% legal in Sweden, or the Bilprovning inspectors don't care at all....

What could also be the case is that only in *later* years, this knob was officially forbidden, hence still legal for older vehicles?

Any insight in this matter, whether formally/theoretically/legally, or real-life cases, including discussions with Bilprovnin inspectors, are welcome....:))

Länk till kommentar
Dela på andra webbplatser

In Sweden we haven't heard about a such law? (Tough we know a lot abot laws..). It's quite common on fork lifters, articulated haulers and that type of machinery and you can buy them as spare part on many store's.

Länk till kommentar

It is/was forbidden in Sweden earlier -at least, now I don't know BUT it has always been legal on tractors and so on i.e. vehicles not going/allowed to go faster than 30-50km/h 

Länk till kommentar

Btw, one of the reasons for asking is what I discovered yesterday, from a manufacturer of equipment/mofications for handicapped people:

http://www.petri-lehr.de/cgi-bin/ls_basis.pl

(first 4 product links in the menu on the upper left (java-stuff, no direct deeplink possible))

Noticed the brand name on Ebay.DE, auction of a *removable* (ordinary) steering wheel knob.

However, seeing their high-tech multi-function control knobs, it inspired me in that direction too, also reminding me of a friend in Russia, who had mounted a switch on his gear-stick, for lights (high-beam) and claxon at the same time (this is very practical in Russian traffic I can assure you....:)))), especially when the owner has special police/VIP/SWAT privileges, like he had (Nissan Patrol btw, with lots of lights))

Still want something like that on the gear-stick as well, but such a nifty multi-function knob isn't bad either.

(Russians make very nice electronic sirens too btw, up to 400W, with a lovely 'piercing' air-horn sound (common for police/ambulance/VIP/SWAT teams there too, they scare the hell out of you from more than a mile away).

Willem (apologies to the handicapped, who really need this stuff, but it's just *too* functional not wanting to have it....the more buttons & switches, the better....:)) Jan

W-J-M2009-01-28 18:49:01

Länk till kommentar

Steering-wheel knobs are forbidden in Sweden in cars and lorrys. In tractors and forklifts etc. is it still legal to use them.

My son is disabled and sitting in a wheelchair, he has a modified  car with a steering-wheel knob and a single lever to actuate trottle/brake.

SPB want to see his exemption for the knob etc. every year.......

The car is streetlegal for anybody, all pedals etc. is workin normally but if the Police stops me with the car i guess it will be som discussions about the handicap stuff in the car....PDT_Armataz_02_07.gif

Dex
Länk till kommentar