Gå till innehåll

OM606 Conversion

hoss

Rekommendera Poster

Hello, I hope that you don't mind me posting in English.

I'm just starting a conversion of my TGB11 with an OM606.962 motor from a MB E300 (W210), inspired by the great work of Daniel, Fredrik & Gripen.

The first pictures that i can post are of the new motor extracted & cleaned a little.

IMG_0170Medium_zps38f61ccf.jpg

I have considered using a few of the systems from the E300, perhaps aircon, maybe even the ABS if i can find a way to put reluctor rings onto the hubs.

I am thinking of also doing a lifting cab like Daniel.

• Like 3
Länk till kommentar
Dela på andra webbplatser

My feeling is that this is going to be a gread thread! Keep posting!

I am thinking of a similar conversion of TGB13 "Myrmonstret", but turning the OM606 and automatic transmission 180 degree around and move it approximatley 1 meter back, and using the early Geländewagen transfercase as a 2:nd lower gear (has reversed front axle rotation) . To be used with modified OM603 purely mechanical injection pump and a larger turbo, similar to Holset HX40 or so. This is to ensure to create "arces of mud" cleaning 6 pcs of Bogger 44" on soft ground....

Cheers

Klas

Länk till kommentar

Hello!

Do not know if you thought about it but Gripen has a OM605 so you need to move your engine package with about an additional 10 cm backward to clear the front axle.

In practice this will not be so easily achieved as the rear drive shaft can not be more than about 6 centimeters shorter in order to work properly.

On roads and expeditions it does not matter that the motor is located above the axel as long as one restricts axle motion so it does not reach the engine. The sump vill have to be cut out.

unfortunately the car's performance in pure offroad driving will be a bit inpared.

I have restricted the travel on my front axel by 4 cm.

Another option for you is to use the original 5 speed gearbox from a tgb 20 and change gers so you get overdrive on fifth gear.

//Fredrik

Länk till kommentar

HI Fredrik,

Yes i had indeed forgotten that Gripen's was a 5cyl. I was looking at the photographs of yours & Daniels builds to estimate the position of your engines. It seems the front (pulleys) are in line with the damper pillars, but the height is hard to judge.

Mine is not intended for pure/hard off-road, it will be an expedition camper so yes i could limit the axle travel and cut the sump.

How did you limit the travel?

I already have coil springs in place of the rubber stops to act in assistance.

Länk till kommentar

Oh and i forgot to mention that i have lifted the body 4 cm also.

This is necessary if you want to install a gw servo and the engine also neds the space.

Lifting the body is very easy. I Think you have about 8 bolts that hold the body to the frame.

Länk till kommentar

• 2 weeks later...

So I have the motor in the approximate position. I was hoping to keep the aircon compressor, but it looks like it will not fit ;(

IMG_0175Medium_zps505563b7.jpg

The transfer box is moved back by 60mm

IMG_0174Medium_zps6e49e9c8.jpg

And the adaptor has been machined to get the coupling as close as possible. I will fill the 6 holes by welding in aluminium bar.

IMG_0176Medium_zpse3153ddc.jpg

Now i need to find some 40x36 DIN 5482 spline shaft....

• Like 1
Länk till kommentar

exciting car project again :)  hope you find the 40x36 shaft. also look for one in a while. Do contact different companies with CNC milling machine, but it gets expensive..

606 with automatic transmission, will be a pleasant car to drive :wub: 

Länk till kommentar

Raw material Spline shafts can be found at companies that sells suplies for mechanical industry.

The easiest way (if there is a difficulty in finding a machine shop with lack of equipment)is to find a raw material splined shaft where the splines are done. Someone with a lathe can machine them for bearing races etc. they are often possibel to weld if there is need of making a flange or similar. 

Google DIN 5482 40x36 (according to "gripens" thread about switching motor) It is an international standard so it can be found.

The other way round is to have a local machine shop with a lathe to machine the  shaft without splines and send it to a machine shop specialized in making gears or splines. that would reduce the total cost. As long as you know what spline standard is to be used, the gear/spline machine shop probably have the proper tools for it.

• Like 1
Länk till kommentar

• 1 month later...