Gå till innehåll

Snorkel Build

Gäst Teddan

Rekommendera Poster

Gäst Teddan
(Skriver på engelska eftersom vi börja få fler och fler här från utlandet?) 

I am now even closer to building and installing a snorkel on my Valp.

When I changed from my B18 to B20 engine I also changed my carburator from the Zenith to a Weber 32/36 DGV. This has been a huge improvement for my fuel economy and horsepower! BUT, going from the oil filter to a regular filter means that I must clean it much more often as there comes alot of dirt from all the road air that circulates in the engine compartment. NOT FUN!

K&N has an "Custom Plenum" that will be arriving next week so that I can start the snorkel project.

Googling the web has lead to many products and possibilities. There is "Forced Air Flow" 
and "Pre-filters"

I am leaning towards the more low-profile Donaldson Air Ram as I do not have much room between my 
roofrack and roof. But the Top-Spin pre-filter would probably be best? But finding a place to put the pre-filter is a problem.

(Pre-VisionX install)
_CNA8290.jpg

My main question is how many "CFM" (Cubic Feet per Minute) does a B20 require? I need to know this not only for the size of the intake but also for what kind of filter I will need between the intake and the carburator.

Other thoughts?

What do your snorkel builds look like and what did you take into consideration?

Länk till kommentar
Dela på andra webbplatser

Gäst Christian

That is one great-looking Valp!

I cannot help you on cfm etc. but I noticed one thing: It is clearly stated in the devon link (http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/055480.pdf) that the ram must have 10" or 25.4 cm of clearance to the roof. It's on the bottom page left side in the blue box.

I have a friend with a C202 that has a roof intake. It's just a tube going to the roof and with a homebuild hood over it. The tube goes to a pre-cleaner box inside the car and from that to the filter.

Hope this help. And please post some more pics of your Valp!

Länk till kommentar

Gäst Teddan

Thanks Christian!

I noticed this too about the clearance but I am not sure of the purpose. Can it be so important?

I would love to see some pics of your friend's snorkel build! Can you get some pics from him?

I haven't updated in a while but you can see my Valp site here: http://www.soost.com/valpen
Länk till kommentar

Gäst Christian

I think it's a matter of airflow. Maybe air hitting the windscreen and front of a truck creates negative pressure just over the roof line. This would mean that the faster you drive the "thinner" the air gets. Just a thought though I'm not am "airflowisist"PDT_Armataz_02_05.gif

I'll take some pics of the setup next time I'm at the shop.
Länk till kommentar

Gäst Teddan
I think it's a matter of airflow. Maybe air hitting the windscreen and front of a truck creates negative pressure just over the roof line. This would mean that the faster you drive the "thinner" the air gets. 

Good thought! Anyone have wind tunnel documentation of the 903? PDT_Armataz_02_07.gif
Länk till kommentar

Gäst Hassefan is back

Like a brick??  PDT_Armataz_02_01.gif Truck´s have the air intake on the roof and from the back o fthe cabin too, truck engins are from 11-14 Liters PDT_Armataz_02_28.gif   and the tube down are 40 x 300-350mm and 1500-2000+ from roof too filterbox then you have another 1500-2000+ too the engine

Länk till kommentar

I built my snorkel cheap and simple like this http://forum.terrangbil.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=3614&PN=2&title=projekt-baronen--en-11-i-frndring and it works great. I fell that the engine has even more output than original.

Cut from my link above: "Original alurör passade rakt i en 75mm HTP muff och röret uppåt är ett vanligt HT avloppsrör med 110mm diameter."

We also build a custom scoop over the snorkel.
Jenik2009-04-13 13:13:20
Länk till kommentar

2,0 litre cylinder volyme 2000 rpm *0,25 ( half of the cylinders filled by each round) = 2 cubic metre's of air/ minute, 16dm3 air/sec

Tube diam 100mm, tube area 0,8 dm2

"Air speed" 20 m/s

Or

Whats get in, shall get out (OK, the exhaust molecules is more complex than molecules in clean air..) so the same area on intake as exhaust, you gte the same "airspeed".
JDW2009-04-14 13:52:15
Länk till kommentar

Gäst Teddan

Whats get in' date=' shall get out (OK, the exhaust molecules is more complex than molecules in clean air..) so the same area on intake as exhaust, you gte the same "airspeed".

[/quote']

Ahhhhh! You're thinking that way! PDT_Armataz_02_10.gif Makes sense.

Detta kallas också för "Frugans Formula".... Det mer de gapar, det mer skit man får!  PDT_Armataz_02_07.gifPDT_Armataz_02_07.gifPDT_Armataz_02_09.gif
Länk till kommentar

Gäst danneape

but!,, the intake must be bigger than the exaust,,

just look at the intake versus the exaust valves,,

or inhale and exhale,, which way is the easiest?

//Danne

Länk till kommentar

Gäst Dexxas

@ JDW...Rätta till nuffrorna...."Tube diam 100mm, tube area 3,14 dm2" stämmer dåligt.

100 mm diam= 50*50*3,14=7850 mm2 =78,5 cm2 =0,785 dm2  

Har aldrig varit nått mattesnille men siffror ska i alla fall vara rimliga....

(r*r*pi)

Länk till kommentar

@ JDW...Rätta till nuffrorna...."Tube diam 100mm' date=' tube area 3,14 dm2" stämmer dåligt.

100 mm diam= 50*50*3,14=7850 mm2 =78,5 cm2 =0,785 dm2  

Har aldrig varit nått mattesnille men siffror ska i alla fall vara rimliga....

(r*r*pi)

[/quote']

Har väl vart ganska duktig på matte, men det går lite fort ibland...PDT_Armataz_02_15.gif
Länk till kommentar

mer effekt om ni sätter en insugslang framför kylet och utnyttjar det övertryck som bildas där i fartvinden, finns nog en hel del att tjäna i effekt och ekonomi vid landsvägsfart med en sån fattigmans turbo. 

På taket är risken att det blir det omvända, och en bensinare klara ju ändå inte vatten över fördelaren.

Länk till kommentar

Gäst H.Hansen

Jo då rätt preparerade så knallar de på bra mycket djupare än fördelaren,

Synd bara att motorn går så förbenat tungt när den blir en innombordare, på grund av kyl fläkten,

Jag har då kommit upp ur vatten hål och näst intil varit blöt om ändan, halva flaket under vatten, Funderar hur resterande elektronik håller för vatten doppen

Länk till kommentar

Gäst H.Hansen

ja lite off topik är det ju men min har då enbart med lite fett strukrt runt fördelaren, gått upp till ventil kopan några gånger.

Inte några jätte långa sträcker men det funkar då fint en bit, hade lite bekymmer tidigare då insuget var riktat framåt med en slang som slutar vid kylaren, men det löste sej genom att dra insuget bakåt och slangen uppåt,

För innan stannade den i vattnet på grund av att den sög i sej vatten, då tuggade jag på startmotorn upp och lite nötande så startar den igen, efter jag drog om insuget har jag bar livit stående en gång, och detta på grund av leran i botten av hålet och fläkt uslingen , gjorde att motorn storknade den orkade inte gå längre helt enkelt

Länk till kommentar

Gäst Teddan
Tack för idén Eile.

Skulle kunna ta röret via den gamla hålet där gamla luftfiltern anslutades bredvid kylaren. Där ifrån ut genom öppningen vid grillen och snett upp till hör för att placera under rutan.

snorkel.jpg
Länk till kommentar