Gå till innehåll

Wheel offset, experiences?

tiagra

Rekommendera Poster

Hi,

when planning my expedition camper (TGB13 based) the topic "tires" always comes to mind. Since I will modify the brakes to fit Toyota calipers and discs with newly machined hubs from, I will end up with Toyota lug pattern. New 37x12.5R17 tires will also require a little less offset than original, if there are to be used with snow chains for sure.

Finding wheels with large offset seems to be one hell of a problem, getting some manufactured to my specifications could be an option, but takes a lot of money. The question is: How much offset will those portals stand? Or: How low can I go? Are there any experiences with aftermarket wheels or rims of different offsets?

I have seen widened Volvo original rims, 2-3 inches added on the outside, which would bring the offset down to values as low as 30 to 55mm. How strong are the wheel bearings and/or the general construction of the portal/bearings in general? Are they prone to break earlier when tinkering with offsets, is the whole design rather immune to such changes? I'd be looking for first hand experiences there, favourably with fairely heavy expedition trucks, not super-light ralley or trophy trucks.

W/o modifying any rims, I might be able to legally aquire 8x17" rims with Offset 35mm. Half an inch to narrow according to most tire manufacturers specifications, but that might be overlooked upon technical inspection. Anyway, we're looking at 70mm of spacers compared to the original Volvo wheel here!

Example of 70mm spacers with original rims (tires 36"):

ZZ29AF53AD.jpg

Option could be, to widen the rims afterwards to the inside... maybe add one or 2 inches. That could bring the offset into the 60mm range. Very expensive procedure of unknown effect.

Small background info: I want the rear camper box to be 2m wide to enable the construction of the bed purpendicular to the driving direction, thus creating a lot of free space for comfort and living. Therefore I'd not be too unhappy aber wider track.

My problem is simply: I need some kind of reliable vehicle, can't push importat bits and pieces to the extreme. Is the portal/bearing section prone to damages somehow? :)

Thanx for your thoughts,

.martin

Länk till kommentar
Dela på andra webbplatser

Hello Martin.

The portal and berings are not prone to failiure but offcourse there is some sort of limit to how much abuse they can take.

In my opinion the portalgears are almost unbreakable so the weakest point is the berings and in particular the outer bering.

But that dont mean the bearings can't handle a wider tyre. I know several people who drive their trucks with widened rims without problems.

I have driven my tgb 131 about 15000k with 37x14,5 on rims widened about 2,5" and i haven't had any problems.

If you bring a couple of spare berings on your expeditiontrip i think u will be fine :) but the best is offcourse to get the offset as close to original as practically possible ;).

The aftermarket for tgb rims are almost non existing so the only experience come from widned original rims.

Länk till kommentar

Widened 2.5" to the outside I suppose? That'd be offset 42mm :) Was your car heavy? Only tar or a lot of gravel/offroad? 14.5" would be too much for my taste when I want to travel... I think 12.5 should be pretty much perfect in terms of fuel, noise, handling...

You say ALMOST non existing aftermarket wheels... does that mean, there are some? One? :))

Länk till kommentar

Jepp widened to the outside.

When i bought the 14,5" tyres i was mainly into serious offroad. After a while my interest shifted to include a bit of expeditiontrips so i have used the tyre a lot on all surfaces.

I dont know for sure but i think my truck weigh in at around 3,2-3.3 tonnes.

Today my tgb is fitted with 315/75R16 tyres that are a lot more roadfriendly than my 37x14,5 creepy crawler. They are mounted on original rims.

I have seen a link to a firm in the us that sold aftermarket rims. I"ll look around the forum tonight and see if i can find it.

Länk till kommentar

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Martin

Here is a possible solution, even cheap + welding work.

16″x10″ Loose center plate

Rim with loose center, which is placed after the required offset.

Bolt pattern: 6/139,7 – 139,7X6 – 6X5,5

Offset: -

Hub bore: 110

Knudsen

Länk till kommentar

I also considering larger tires for my TGB 13 camper. but the specile rims from xtremevehicles.com is unfortunately not allowed in denmark :( so it will probably be some 315/75 R16 otherwise it will be too expensive. could have been cool with some 36 "tires but will think it probably cope with 34" ;)

someone has probably seen them here before from Holland, they have made their rims made themselves :) and nice Volvo! :excl:http://www.havast.eu/index.php?paginaid=23#

Länk till kommentar

You can get rims made brand new with documents. Will probably cost around 200 EUR/piece. The only problem so far: They didn't find a suitable manufacturer für 17" rim beds, yet. Been begging them for a while now :) As soon as there is some progress, I'll let you know.....

Länk till kommentar